Saturday, August 20, 2011

Doughnut days

My dad loves doughnuts.  That is where I have gotten my love of doughnuts. I have friends that don't like them, and all I can think is, "What is wrong with you?  How can you not love doughnuts???"  He has an uncanny ability to find a doughnut shop anywhere we go.  He can leave a hotel room in a new city, start driving or walking, and without getting lost, find the nearest bakery.  It's somewhat of a family joke to us all. 

So, obviously, his favorite thing to do with the kids is to take them to get doughnuts once each time we visit.  While we were in Wisconsin last week we did our doughnut morning the first morning we were in town, and Madison got to go along with him to help with the family doughnut run.  She LOVED it.  She got her favorite- doughnut holes. Yum!



***As a side note, when I was about Madison's age I used to go visit my dad's parents in Minnesota during the summer all by myself (when you're the oldest of 6 girls, one-on-one attention was rare, and coveted).  Over the course of the few years I got to stay there, those weeks with my grandparents became some of my most treasured memories, I would look forward for the chance to visit with them all year long.  As my anticipation of summer break started getting closer I would call my grandmother up and ask when I could come visit.  I adored my grandparents (both sides, but for some reason I went to my dad's parents alone and Alyssa went to my mom's.  Funny, huh....).  Anyway, during the week I visited my grandmother took me to work with her at the college for one day and my grandfather would take me to get a doughnut one morning.  I loved that special one-on-one time with them.  I really believe there is a special bond between grandparent and grandchild.  They are so important in children's lives.  I have beloved memories of all 4 grandparents, I miss them every day.

Anyway...back to "The Great (lame) Doughnut Story." 

So, since Presley is finally eating real food, and a bit older, I decided that she was finally old enough to participate in this family tradition.  (My family likes to eat....whatever)



She loved her doughnut...she got a plain cake doughnut, no frosting or icing (my Nazi parenting ways never truly relax) and ate every bite.

I'm pretty sure Hunter devoured 3 doughnuts before one of us caught on to him.  Little stinker!


Sometimes in life it's the little things that seem so inconsequential, that stay with you and matter the most. Seriously, who would think that being taken to get a doughnut would stick with me for 30 years?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doughnuts are my down fall, as well..... I LOVE THEM!!! :) Sounds like some fun memories for you and your kids. Glad you had such a good vacation. :)