Tuesday, January 27, 2009

2008 Q

Quilting


The last two years I have finally learned how to use my sewing machine. I have always wanted to learn how to sew, I figure it is my creative outlet. Some people can paint, others can write poetry, yet others are crafty. I am none of those things, however, sewing I can learn to do. I have really enjoyed it. I have to thank my friend Cori for getting me into it, she convinced me to take a beginners class with her when I was prego with Hunter and now look at me, I always have a project going.

Since we live in Vegas and have little to no need for multiple blankets I decided to make a quilt for each of my sisters and surprise them for Christmas this year. These are the end results. I used only a few different patterns, and they were definitely easy ones, and I finally completed them the week before we left for Memphis ( I started this crazy scheme in April, but I got so caught up in getting our house rented, packing and moving).

I tried to make each one unique and incorporate something about their personalities into the actual quilt.

The top left was for Allie, and you can't tell from the picture, but he green has little pink flamingos embroidered on the fabric. She loves Polo and really digs the seersucker look, so I found something that looked a little bit like that.

The top middle was Amily's. She loves neutral colors and I flat out fell in love with the pattern on the green fabric. She was a little tougher because there is not one specific thing that she really digs, so I went with a neutral I thought she would like.

The top right was for Alyssa. She was like Amily, she doesn't have a specific taste that she leans towards, but she does like color, and I liked this one so much I made one for our house. It was just fun and bright, but not overwhelming.

The bottom left was for Ariane. She loves girly, pretty things and I fell in love with the baby blue/brown flower fabric and searched for a while to find something to compliment it. I loved this one.

The middle was for Aunna. This was the first one that I made and the reason I decided to do a quilt for everyone. I was at my Block-of-the-month class and saw these fabrics on display. I fell in love with them and had to buy them. I didn't know what I was going to do with the finished product and thought, "what the heck, I can make one for all my sisters" and that gave me an excuse to sew and put together some really fun quilts.

The last one was for my Sister-in-law Jessica. She is a super cute girly-girl that digs the cute girly skater look and I saw this and thought of her. I really like how it turned out.

I loved this having this project throughout the year and loved walking the fabric stores, seeing a fabric and it screaming to me, "This one!" I feel like each one of them has a piece of me in them and hope they bring as much joy to my sisters as they did to me.

3 comments:

Elise said...

Wow! Impressive! Pretty crafty if you ask me.

Laura Larsen said...

The quilts are gorgeous!!! Someday you need to teach me.

Brittany said...

Wow you really are amazing! They are so beautiful... I'm sure your sisters were pleasantly surprised on Christmas morning! What a thoughtful and time consuming gift!